Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Adventures Wish List

It was another hot summer night and I caught myself day dreaming about places that I would like to visit. With my recent romp in the Bronx, I remembered how fun and un-relaxing it is to travel, and I like it that way. I realized that every spot that I thought about visiting is not quite the big city routine of say, New York, or even the popular destinations in Europe. I have included my top five wish list for vacation spots, and also the big draw for me to want to visit them.

5. Montana

I love green, I love the mountains, and I love to fish. Ever since I was about ten and I saw the movie A River Runs Through It, I have been drawn to Montana. I don’t think I even know what the movie was about, but I can’t get the scenes of flowing mountain rivers, the whip of the fly-line, and legitimate trophy trout out of my head. Someday I hope to spend a week in my waders and try my hand at taming that wild.



4. British Columbia

I know what you are thinking; what could Canada possibly have to offer besides a cool picture with a Mountie and discount pharmaceuticals? Well, without doing any research on real statistics, I’d say Canada is about as close as you can get to untouched wilderness in the western hemisphere. With opportunities to hunt in British Columbia, I wouldn’t mind going after a Caribou, Brown Bear, and definitely a once in a lifetime Moose.


3. South Africa

Here is one that is hard. Not only because it is so far from home, no matter where in the US you call home, but because Africa just scares me. It’s not the man-eating lions, overly-aggressive Hippos, or even the stealthy salt-water crocodiles. What scares me most about Africa is political unrest and human disease. I know that not all of Africa is as bad as Hollywood and the news media would have me believe, and that is why it makes it on my list. I really would like to carefully plan a safe trip and have the opportunity to see what the Discovery Channel has been trying to show us for years.


2. South America

I really mean Southern Chile and Argentina when I write South America. For the last few years I have really wanted to go down and see first hand how beautiful the lower third of the continent is. After spending two years in the central part of Chile, I came home with a head full of stories the Chileans would tell me of huge rivers full of salmon and high mountain lakes so clear you can see heaven’s reflection. And while I am down there I might as well get my money's worth and visit Argentina, where I have heard rumors that you will not find better dove hunting in the entire world.


1. Kodiak Island

This should come as no surprise. Remember what I said about Canada being the most untouched wilderness in the western hemisphere? Well, Alaska might be the only place on earth that trumps that statement. And on Kodiak Island there is a higher concentration of Brown Bear then anywhere else. I don’t want to go all Timothy Treadwell and become one with the bear community, but honestly I can’t imagine anything cooler then watching a feeding frenzy during the salmon run. I doubt I will ever see that, but at least I would like to go on a guided bear hunt. While I am at it there is so much more that Alaska has to offer. I wonder how long I would have to go for to soak it all in?

Feel free to comment and tell me about your outdoor adventure dreams.

One more thing: Chris LeDoux say’s you haven’t lived until you see the Northern Lights. Add that to the list of why to visit Alaska.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your list. I know how you are; and when you set your mind to a goal, you reach it (like your Mustang). It might be a few years but I'd bet that you will make it to some of those places.

Sara said...

Welll, I guess I have lived, because while in Alaska, I did see the northern lights. It's an amazing wonder of nature. Also in AK I was amazed that you could walk outside at 11pm and it looked about like 3pm outside. That light. Not kidding. Just don't try to sleep without heavy curtains that time of year. The salmon fishing is pretty cool, too. I remember seeing a whole stream just filled with spawning fish. You couldn't walk across the stream without stepping on one. Other than that, I'd say the other cool place I have been is in the Gila Wilderness. I think because we grew up there we can sometimes take it for granted, but you know what? It's got a pretty amazing set of mountain views and some great wildlife,too.
I wish you luck in accomplishing all of your goals. I'm with you on the Africa thing, though. Save that one for last, just in case.

Ross said...

A River Runs Through It is actually my favorite movie, believe it or not. And I've even read the book. Tell me when you're going to Montana to fly fish, and I'm there.

Timothy Treadwell was freaking crazy. I find it proper that he got eaten by the bears he wanted so much to make love to.

Joleen said...

You forgot Chicago...