Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Little Sahara


It is not big news to anyone in the intermountain west that Utah is home to some great outdoor sites. From overnight camping sites to week long back country excursions, you can find it all over the state. I have been in the area for nearly four years and I am still discovering for myself the truth of that statement.

My most recent self discovery was Little Sahara Recreation Area in central Utah. What was once the sandy bottom of Lake Bonneville now is a favorite site for thrill seekers on two or four wheels. Hold on though, these dunes are not only for the well invested in all terrain vehicles. With developed camp sites including picnic tables, fire rings, and modern plumbing (yes, running water) it is a great place for that over night camp.

I made my trip down with a group of friends from school and unfortunately we didn't have the motored beast that we could hear all around us. We were still able to find fun in running in the silky-soft sand bare-foot while throwing a football or Frisbee.

I would recommend this spot to anyone with a dirt bike, four-wheeler, or dune buggy, but also to anyone that just wants to get away for the weekend and see a different take on the beauty that Utah's natural features have to offer.

3 comments:

Mike said...

That sounds awesome, too bad I already left Utah.

Adam said...

The Sand Dunes are awesome. I have fond memories of playing capture the flag there as a boy scout. You know... back when scouting was about more than just child molesters and bullcrap Eagle projects.

Ross said...

Adam, do you want my job as scoutmaster? It sounds like you could really steer the program back to how it used to be.

If you want good sand dunes, check out the Bruneau Sand Dunes in SW Idaho.