Monday, September 1, 2008

Summer is Done

Well I sit here today at my desk thinking about the last four months. I like to go through my pictures from time to time and remember the good times. But this morning as I was going through my files I realized that my summer is officially over today. I start up with classes tomorrow and my free time will be very limited.

At the same time, just because summer is over doesn't mean that the outdoors season is over. Sure there may not be much more fishing, rock climbing, or hiking, but I will find a way to get outside.


It'll be like last year when we decided to go bouldering at Triassic near Price, UT. We knew there was snow, but still got out our tents and sleeping bags and hiked in near some pretty good bouldering problems. We woke up the next morning to a fresh 8" of snow on top of the foot and a half that was already there. That was probably the most fun I've had on a bouldering trip.



And I am sure that we will repeat Cabin Fever again this winter. Last year we spent a long weekend at a cabin at Panguitch Lake. Snow mobiles, sleds, and a lot of friends make a good combination for fun. We'll be looking to break the record for the longest sled ride ever.



With fall setting in, I just have to pack away my fishing pole and get ready for the hunts. Unfortunately I didn't draw a single tag for New Mexico, but I still get out with friends that have tags. And there is always the Thanksgiving quail hunt that has become somewhat of a tradition in our family. I'll be sure to shoot plenty of clays and maybe be able to out shoot my brother Ty this year.


So just because this is the last day of summer, and I am stuck inside during a thunderstorm, doesn't mean it is a sad day. What are you going to do to get out this fall and winter?

2 comments:

Mike said...

You should not be so worried about Ty kicking your tail....

Sara said...

Ok, so I've thought long and hard about what will get me out this fall and winter and have come up with nothing. Basically I'm counting on cooler weather to beccon me outdoors here in Texas. I really can't stand the heat of the summer. We'll probably be able to go camping sometime in October or November at this rate!