Sunday, June 1, 2008

Cruising the Canyon

There are many ways to get outdoors these days. In my younger years one of my favorite activities was to ride the back roads of Mimbres on my 1983 Kawasaki Km 80. After I outgrew that bike and let other priorities take place in my life, I never got another motorcycle. Well now I can relive my childhood again. I recently became the proud owner of a 2008 Honda Rebel CMX250C. I know what you are thinking, and you are right. It isn’t the hog that you would expect a 24 year old college student to go out and buy. But this is just enough bike to get me around and still feel like I am not riding a scooter. I really got it to save on gas money and for better parking on campus, but there is also recreational value to having a motorcycle.

With only 40 miles on the odometer I decided that I would take it for a ride up Provo Canyon. I have always seen bikers cruising up and down the canyon roads and had looked forward to doing it someday. So on this lazy Sunday afternoon I took a spin up to Squaw Peak lookout. It was everything that I had hoped for. For such a small bike it handles well both at higher speeds on the main canyon road, and on the windier Squaw Peak Road it took the curves with ease. I wouldn’t recommend going over 75 mph especially with windy conditions because of the weight of the bike, but for casual cruising and great gas mileage, this is about as good as it gets.

As a side note: If you are going to ride, wear a helmet. Just because you see everyone else on the road riding without one on, doesn't make safe. Your life is worth always strapping on a good quality helmet.

4 comments:

Adam said...

So tell me about the secret wave motorcyclists have when they pass each other on the highway. You know what I'm talking about, the little downward motion with the hand. They all do it, and I want to know why there's so much camaraderie in this community.

Russ Nelson said...

If you need help tricking your bike out let me know. Just think you could be riding in pure comfort with a Mt. Dew drinking system fastened to your helmet and a catheter type system for the way out. Also we could work a way to get the internets while you ride.

Come talk to me you won't regret it.

Sara said...

That top pic looks like it's out of a catalog with the mountains in the background. Very pretty. (the mountains, not your rod) :)
Glad to see you're wearing a helmet.

Seth Schenfeld said...

I'm proud of you for throwing that plug for helmets in. All those kids in Utah riding without 'em need to have their heads smashed into the ground to see what going down would feel like. Sweet bike dude.